Parents & Guardians: We need your help!
School Mental Health Ontario (SMHO-SMSO) and Wisdom2Action (W2A) are collaborating on an initiative to engage secondary school students across Ontario about school-based mental health with the following objectives:
- To determine the mental health knowledge needs and learning preferences of secondary school students
- To gather student ideas for building mental health awareness, reducing stigma, and enhancing wellness at school
- To learn more about ways that students would like to get involved in provincial, district, and school-level mental health initiatives
The information gathered will help to shape SMHO-SMSO’s provincial student mental health engagement and leadership strategy. In addition to informing future student mental health learning and related projects, it is hoped that this student engagement initiative will inspire Ontario students to learn more and to get involved!
Through four regional forums and an online survey, we’re trying to hear from as many students across Ontario as possible. Please consider sharing information about this project with young people in your network.
The information on this webpage is intended to provide you, as a parent/guardian, with key information about this project. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Fae Johnstone (Wisdom2Action) at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Joyce Erogun (School Mental Health Ontario) at email@example.com.
1) In-Person Regional Forums
We are organizing four regional forums, in London, Ottawa, Thunder Bay and Toronto! The forums will provide an opportunity for students and young people to share their perspectives and recommendations on improving student leadership and mental health awareness in Ontario’s secondary schools.
What parents/guardians need to know about the in-person forums:
- Chaperones and adult allies are welcome to attend the in-person forums. If you desire to attend alongside your child/youth, please complete the appropriate registration form. Participants will also need to register.
- The forums will be discussion-based and interactive. They will be facilitated from a strength-based and inclusive approach.
- There will be mental health support staff available at the forum.
- If a participant shares something that makes us worry about their safety or the safety of others, mental health staff present at the event will talk with the participant and provide support to get help and make appropriate reports to a parent/guardian as needed.
- For those travelling from outside of the host city to attend a regional forum, more information will be made available soon regarding travel and accommodations. Should you have questions, please feel free to contact Sherry Sim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Online Survey
In the coming weeks, we will be launching an online survey for secondary school students across Ontario. The survey will include close-ended questions about mental health knowledge needs and how we can better engage students in school-based mental health. Parents and guardians are welcome and encourage to review the survey themselves, and share with young people in their network. Stay tuned!